Arsenal are top of the league – but you wouldn’t know it by listening to some Gunners fans.

The negativity among many Gooners is so strong that you’d think we were bottom of the league.

We might be top, they say, but we could have done with signing another striker during the transfer window. (And I’d tend to agree.)

We might be top but we’ve so many tough fixtures ahead that we won’t stay there. (And I’d definitely agree.)

We might be top but Wenger doesn’t know what he’s doing. (And I’d completely disagree. Since when was a manager incidental to a club being top of one of the strongest leagues on the planet?)

But the point is – we’re top. There’s not a club in England that would not swap their position for ours.

So why don’t we enjoy it? To me it’s ridiculous to not enjoy being top of the league.

Yet when I look at life, I can see how I frequently don’t appreciate the good times. When I heap layer upon layer of ‘yeah buts’ on moments when life is lovely.

Gratitude is good. I love the saying of Rabbi Nachman that, when you are asked how your life is, if you reply: ‘Great’, God will say: ‘You think this is great?’

When I was at Arsenal on Sunday I saw numerous long faces as we beat Crystal Palace to return to the top of the league. The woman in this photo looks happier than many of the fans at the Emirates that day. And she’s emerging from a bunker in Nagasaki after a nuclear bomb was dropped on the city.

Perspective’s a funny thing. Have a lovely weekend.

11 Responses to “The Nagasaki perspective”

1. F Callen says:

I see Liverpool dropped 5 H-bombs!

2. oyvagoy says:

Haha!

Armageddon!

3. Harold Tobin says:

That was yesterday

4. Hugh says:

Chas, this may be one of those moments in life that really nobody likes: when I have to say I told you so. Remember back in the early days of the season I predicted an Arsenal implosion in February? Yes? Alas, it has come to pass! The fact that it was my team, Liverpool, doing the damage is irrelevant. I feel just awful about it right now, I really do. But I did tell you.

• oyvagoy says:

Haha, you did, you did!

• Liliana says:

Howdy! This blog post couldn’t be wrttein any better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I am going to send this information to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a great read. I appreciate you for sharing!|

5. F Callen says:

So who will get the title – Man CIty or Chelsea?

• oyvagoy says:

Despite yesterday’s draw at Norwich, I believe Man City will win the title.

I think Mourinho will psyche Wenger out, and then Mourinho will psyche Mourinho out.

6. oyvagoy says:

Well, at least we got a point last night.

7. Hugh says:

Underneath that avuncular exterior, Arsene Wenger must be a real sadist, Chas, because you’ll probably come close to putting Bayern out in the second leg but not quite make it. Again. Still, at least you’re in it.

• Riya says:

Ooh, good one! I’ve got a large collection of goofy T-shirt phtoos, but I haven’t seen (let alone photographed) this one.I am reminded of one I did see here in Beijing (no picture, unfortunately). An old man in my neighborhood was wearing a black T with white block letters on it: TOTALLY FUCKED.I almost know enough Chinese now to start a conversation 请问,你知道英文什么意思吗?