zithromax online #www.createwithcurtis.com, www.createwithcurtis.com#vermox, yasmin, www.createwithcurtis.com #price-of-tadacip, ampicillin online, online without prescription

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Here’s a blogpost I wrote in 2009 about her relationship with the Jewish community and Israel.

More generally, she was perhaps the most controversial prime minister in Britain’s history. But I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by how upset they feel over this loss.

13 Responses to “RIP Margaret Thatcher”

1. mightymark says:

My memory of Mrs T was of the day the Heath government resigned – I was a Politics student at the time an went up to Westminster to see thee comings and goings, including the car bringing the letter from Jeremy Thorpe to Heath saying “no go” on coalition. You could still stand in Downing Street at the time. The game was up for Heath and shortly afterwards the Cabinet emerged. I remember Thatcher got into the oldest most battered Minicar I’d eve seen!

• mightymark says:

I forgot to add (old age creeping up on me too perhaps?)the main point of the tale was that I often wondered what she was thinking then and whether it included thoughts of trying for the leadership.

2. Israelinurse says:

Mrs T’s politics were not my cup of tea, but I will be eternally grateful to her for stopping me being forced to drink that horrible, nauseating, tepid 1/3 pint of milk which had stood festering by the heating pipes for hours on every school day.

Haha, superb!

• Ian says:

Maggie Thatcher … Milk Snatcher !

• Adam says:

Actually Margaret Thatcher was very much against the withdrawal of milk in schools and voted against it in Cabinet. However, as education secretary she took responsibility.

• Paulo says:

I hated Thatcher but my Dad loved her and still does. We used to have fantastic dabetes about her as Dad would always refer to the ‘Winter of Discontent’ and how bad a Labour Government can be. I always disagreed with him vehemently and was a member of the Labour party for 5 years.I now know he was absolutely right. There is nothing worse than a Labour Government. My problem with Thatcher was that she played God with working people and communities, most especially during the Miners’ Strike. Now tell me what is the difference now?This Government doesn’t just focus on certain points, it wants to dictate every little aspect of our daily lives and if we don’t conform, we are to be forced to do so.Kerry, why are the entire population of this country being bombarded with adverts that say a pint of beer is always 3 units when the vast majority of the best-selling brands are 2 units or less? How long till rationing? What right has Sir (haha) Liam Donaldson got to tell us all what we are supposed to eat? Isn’t that up to the individual in a ‘free’ society? And why is a public consultation on further anti-smoking measures being hidden away on a DoH web-site but promoted loudly on DoH satellite sites that only allow one answer? Is this Labour democracy?Public Information films used to advise but allow choice to the individual, now we just get bullying and hectoring from Labour, all backed up by threats and intimidation. Stop meddling in the lives of the people you are supposed to be representing. Life doesn’t begin and end in Westminster.

The saddest scene I’ve seen in a film comes in The Iron Lady. When Denis Thatcher dies, a bewildered Margaret Thatcher says: “But… I’m not ready for him to go.” You have to see the scene itself to understand how painful it is. It haunted me for months.

I don’t have much to say about the politics of it all today. Those who are canonising her as a saint are misguided in my opinion, but the haters who are spitefully delighting in her death are the real fools. Their cynicism does far, far more damage to this country than Thatcher ever did.

So, I just remember that scene in The Iron Lady and hope that, somewhere and somehow, two people who very much loved one another are back together.

• Ian says:

I remember having a bit of a debate ( although there weren’t many contributers ) about Mrs Thatcher the last time You posted about Her .
      Unless People lived through Her policies then I don’t believe that They have a right to be judgemental about the victims of Her Regime .
      This isn’t North Korea where people have to pretend to show grief when a politician dies .
      You can’t expect people from the Mining Communities not to be angry about what Thatcher did to Their Industry ( with whole areas completely devastated & now full of drug abuse ) – Their view is not spite it is perfectly understandable !

I’m not really sure what to say to any of that. I lived through her policies, nobody is suggesting anyone has to pretend to show grief, and there is a difference between feeling (and even displaying) anger towards her policies and delighting in the death of a human being.

(I assume the bit that seemed to blame drug abuse in 2013 on her policies in the 1980s was a joke.)

• Ian says:

I agree that there is a difference .

As a Spiritual person I try not to hate individuals . I don’t hate Mrs Thatcher – but I do hate what Her policies meant to hundreds of thousands of people in Working Class Communities .

No it wasn’t a joke at all – when the Pits closed the Mining Communities were flooded by drug pushers & addiction became rife in those area – those facts are well known by the Police & Anti-Drugs workers in all the ex Pit Communities .

4. Erika Anear says:

Like Reagan it’s hard to remember what Margaret Thatcher was actually for. All she ever was was ‘against.’ Most female conservatives are like this. That’s why they leave such a negligible footprint aside from sourness once they pass on.

5. Brian Goldfarb says:

Like Ian above, I lived through Thatcherism and I didn’t like it one little bit. I remember saying to my wife when the Tories won that ’79 election that she would roll back the Welfare State, and being greeted with disbelief. Regrettably, I was right and my wife wrong.

That said, we were fine: I was in a secure public sector job: HE lecturer, good pension in the future, secure employment, etc, etc. Didn’t mean that I had to like her or her policies. How many others remember that there were relatively few homeless people in 1979? People used to be able to get benefits without necessarily having a “fixed abode”: allowed them to get that little thing. These massive changes to the welfare system cost us collectively dear.

I don’t rejoice in her death (unlike her rejoicing in the deaths of others over the Falklands War – I recall David Owen [another one of my not-favourite politicians] noting that he had, when Foreign Secretary warned the Argentinians off by telling them that was a British fleet “over the horizon” should they move on the Falklands: they didn’t) if only because I remember my John Donne, but neither would I celebrate it and refused to read the papers and watch television until it was all over.

How come one so divisive deserved what was in all but name a state funeral. And at my (and your) expense. The last person to deserve one was Churchill. How can she compare with him?