Morten Berthelsen has written a hilariously entertaining article about the culinary wonders, or lack thereof, on offer at the Dead Sea.

Personally, I absolutely love the Dead Sea; it’s the first place I visited in Israel and will forever be special to me. During my first flight to Israel a beautiful Scottish Jewess I befriended on the plane told me: “There’s something magical about the Dead Sea.”

And she’s right, there is. But that magical something is not the food.

As Berthelsen writes:

Don’t worry, I am not going to touch the Bamba, for I have learned it is sacred. The pre-packaged sandwiches… I shall also not touch, but more for fear of salmonella. And the buffets. The goddamn buffets. Let us speak of them.

The buffet at the Kibbutz Ein Gedi guesthouse is simple, and the setting cafeteria-like, but it passes. At Ein Gedi’s main beach, the austere buffet at Pundak Ein Gedi will bring to mind visits to a relative in hospital.

Eating the food at Masada Guest House is an entirely new way of being robbed.

Do read the article in its full kvetchtastic splendour.

I’d love to hear any experiences of Dead Sea catering you have – however bad!

12 Responses to “The Dead Sea mystery”

1. Adam Levick says:

Great post. My mom is actually visiting soon and we’re going to take her to the Dead Sea, and I was wondering where to take her for lunch. I’m wondering now if we should just pack a falafel or shwarma.

2. F Callen says:

Sneaked up to the top of Masada one night with a mate from Aberdeen and, after a night under the stars, cooked up some instant noodles on a gas stove for breakfast as the sun rose behind the mountains. Finest instant noodles ever.

3. Shmuel says:

Are those Barcelona shorts you are wearing Chaz? I thought you were Arsenal?

They are and I am indeed an Arsenal fan.

I also admire Barcelona, though.

(I’ve joined the gym since that photo was taken.)

4. suztours says:

Hey Chas – since you were here, Masada (not the guest house) has completely redone the entire food & shopping area, and there is now a large buffet line full of hot & cold goodies as well as two or three other food stands, including (unfortunately) McDonald’s.

The Ein Gedi Pundak (cafeteria) at the Ein Gedi Public Beach (next to the gas station) is closed just now, though I have heard they are renovating and will reopen at some point…

Mineral Beach is also building some new buildings to include, among other things, a cafeteria, I’m told.

But one of my favorite things to do is to just get sandwiches & cold drinks from the kiosk at the entrance to the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve and go up to the top at the Ein Gedi Field School to eat at the picnic tables overlooking the reserve for the amazing view and to watch Ibex which are often frolicking on the grass there!

Hope you’ll come back soon and try one or more of these new good offerings!

suzanne

5. Sandra says:

Well I have just returned from Jerusalem. I took home made sandwiches and fruit on my trip for the day to the Dead Sea and Masada. As it was still very hot there, i put them in a small freezer bag with ice blocks. At least my picnic was tasty and fresh!