I co-wrote a book with Julie Burchill a few years ago. It’s called Not In My Name: A Compendium of Modern Hypocrisy, and we had fine old time writing it. Read my chapter about Israel here, and find out more about the book here.

Now Julie is going to write a new book. Like me, she’s a gentile who loves Israel, and she’s going to write a memoir based on this theme, entitled Unchosen: Memoirs of a Philosemite. Given her deep and longstanding love of Israel and the Jewish people, together with her outrageous sense of humour and unrivalled literary dexterity, it won’t be anything less than a fascinating read.

She has chosen to publish it through Unbound, which is a new form of publishing whereby authors pitch their idea direct to the public, who can decide whether they want to support the idea or not.  We need more pro-Israel books, so pop over to the Unbound website and back Julie’s book!

20 Responses to “Choose Unchosen!”

1. sharna says:

will be doing just that.

2. PB says:

Great, sounds interesting

By the way, I should have mentioned: we dedicated Not In My Name ‘To Arik and Bibi’, meaning, of course, Ariel Sharon and Benjamin Netanyahu.

4. Jill says:

Nice one, will check that out.
    I really enjoyed the Not In My Name book, I found it fascinating and the Israel chapter was both moving and fierce.

Popped in to tell you about this page on FB, a pro Israel Irish site. Do check it out.

Thanks.

And so glad you enjoyed Not In My Name!

• Jill says:

It presented a unique view of the UK that’s for sure!:)

This one is not quite so fun but is based in UK by a London girl – everydaysexism.com.

Chas, I reckon you should issue your NimN Israel chapter as a Rosh Hashana card! or selected passages therefrom.

best wishes,
        Jill

• Jill says:

You’ll be pleased to know I’ve read it about ten times and still dip into it. The whole thing, not just the Israel part. :)

That’s great to hear – thanks! :)

• Jill says:

Chas, I posted the NimN Israel chapter on another’s FB page. Most of his friends speak mainly Hebrew though and would find it difficult to read the piecwe.

Did you and JB ever get NiMN translated into Hebrew?

If not, would you ever?

• Jill says:

Chas, did you ever get NiMN translated into Hebrew? If not, would you ever?
            Israelis would love it!!

Good idea!

• Jill says:

Oops a sort of double post.

Sorry, I thought the first one did not get through!!

5. La Cumparsita says:

Have ordered my copy.

I’ve been enjoying this blog in preparation for my next trip to Tel Aviv: http://telavivbreakfasts.wordpress.com/

6. Jonathan Bush says:

I have already supported this via Unbound, then tweeted to encourage others. I will now FB share this blog piece as further encouragement. I am looking forward to reading this book…
    Thanks Chas

7. SandraC says:

I am afraid that I remain unconvinced. I have never read Burchill coherently explain her love for the Jewish people. I find it suspicious and ofensive.

8. Joy Wolfe says:

Assuming as I am sure it will that the book gets to
    publication stage how can we organise a book launch event in Manchester

9. Shmuel says:

“Everything up to and including Collector’s level and you can join Julie for a small Israeli-style Shabbat celebration at a Jewish restaurant in London.”

Someone need to tell her that Jewish restaurants close on shabbat. I thought she would know this?

10. Thanks a ton for posting this, I observed it incredibly informative, and it answered most with the concerns I had.